A full liquid, low fat, low carbohydrate, low sugar, HIGH protein diet for 2 weeks prior to your surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. This is required to help shrink your liver and the fat around your stomach, making the surgery easier and safer to perform and to promote healing after your surgery.
So here I am in day 5 of the pre-op diet. This diet is described by my doctor as:
I will include some other tips and tricks given to me below, but first, my personal experience thus far. I prepared for the liquid diet by first making a grocery list of acceptable items from the information below and then going to the grocery store and picking up everything needed to succeed. Besides liquid, protein, milk, powdered milk, packaged protein drinks, and drink mixes I also bought several of the small blender bottles to quickly and easily mix and carry liquids on the go. I'd also recommend these awesome protein funnels for adding protein to other soups and drinks without the mess. I also bought small 12 oz bottles of water since it was easier for me to track my water intake.
I prepared a medium sized lunch bag with all sorts of options for my work day. I packed yogurt, yogurt drinks, soup, unflavored protein powder (for mixing into liquids without protein), carnation instant breakfast, and protein drinks. The first day I was absolutely miserable but each day got better. My favorite dinner was chicken or beef broth with some protein mixed in and added bullion powder and seasonings for flavor. The extra salt from the bullion also seemed to help maintain my electrolytes.
Here is what my day looks like:
0645 - TAKE VITAMIN, IRON, B12, BIOTIN
0700 - cafe mocha - 1 cup cold coffee (or decaf), 1 cup skim milk (or almond milk) and 1 scoop "ISO 100" gourmet chocolate protein
0800 - Water, G2, Propel
0900 - Greek yogurt - light and fit greek toasted coconut
1000 - Water, G2, Propel
1100 - 1.5 cups of soup (Cream of chicken, cream of tomato, or other liquid soups such as butternut squash, carrot, or green - add seasoning to taste)
1200 - Water, G2, Propel - TAKE CALCIUM + D3
1300 - Sugar free pudding w/ 1 tbsp unflavored "Garden of Life" protein mixed in (I make this the night before by mixing the dry pudding mix with one scoop unflavored protein and 2 cups skim milk, pour into three to go containers)
1400 - Water, G2, Propel
1500 - Aqua fusion protein+fiber drink mix in 10 oz water
1600 - Water, G2, Propel - TAKE B12, BIOTIN, CALCIUM + D3
1700 - Chicken or beef broth mixed with 1 tbsp unflavored protein,
1800 - Yogurt drink (light and fit 0 sugar yogurt drink or Yakult light)
1900 - Sugar free jello
2000 -Water, G2, Propel - TAKE PROBIOTIC
2 week Liquid Diet Secrets
- NO limit - You may have as much as you like not limited by meal times.
- Examples - The liquid choices on the sheet are suggestions. If you find something similar to it, go ahead and try it.
- No chunks - strain out all vegetable chunks from soups. No fruit or seeds in the yogurt.
- Protein – females 60-70 grams a day, males 70-80 grams a day. Take in protein throughout entire day, instead of all at once. Try putting flavorless ‘Whey’ protein in your yogurt or drinks. You can also buy shakes that have a high protein content - just make sure they are low carb and low fat.
- Fluid intake - try and get about 3 liters (96 oz.) of fluid per day. This includes all the liquids on the list.
Divide your liquids:
- 32 oz. before lunch
- 32 oz. before supper
- 32 oz. before bed
- 16 ounce water bottles x 6 = 96 oz.
- Adult multi-vitamin with iron or child complete multi vitamin with iron – Chewable
- Calcium citrate with vitamin D – Chewable
**Remember - Calcium and Iron should be taken 2 hours apart
Iron should never be taken with milk/dairy products
**Chewable, crushable or liquid vitamins are necessary for the first 4 weeks after surgery, then you may use whole pills to swallow.
Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials (no sugar added) blue box (HEB, Target)
Unjury, Propass, Pure (online)
Low fat/sugar free yogurt/greek yogurt/Dannon Light and Fit (carb and sugar control) NO FRUIT CHUNKS
Sugar free popsicles
Sugar free jell-o NO FRUIT CHUNKS
Sugar free pudding
- V8 (low sodium)
Decaffeinated tea or coffee (can add artificial sweetener, NO REGULAR SUGAR)
Low-fat STRAINED creamed soups NO CHUNKS
Healthy Select STRAINED soups
Broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
Crystal Light/Sugar Free Kool-aid and Hawaiian Punch
Propel, Skinny Water or G2
Skim Milk, Skim Mootopia (HEB product),
Up to 96 ounces of fluid every day! (minimum of 64 oz)
EAS “carb control” (Walmart, Commissary)
Isopure (Walmart, Commissary, HEB)
Protein Powder (with less than 5 grams of sugar per serving) Unflavored protein powder is great to add to anything for extra protein!
When shopping for protein drinks, look for Low Carb and Low Fat products –
• At least 15 grams of protein per 8-ounce (1 cup) serving • Less than 5 grams of sugar per 8-ounce serving - Less than 5 grams of fat per 8-ounce serving.
Bariatric Liquid Protein Supplements: Recipes for Making High-Protein Supplements at Home
Instructions: In a blender, mix:
1 cup skim milk
2 scoops (1 ounce) Carb Solutions or other protein powder
Vanilla or flavoring
--This recipe provides: ..190 calories..28 grams protein..2 grams fat..1 gram fiber
• Chocolate milk: Add unsweetened cocoa powder to the recipe before mixing.
• Hot chocolate: heat the chocolate milk. Sip slowly.
High-Protein Fruit Punch
Instructions: In a blender, mix:
6 ounces sugar-free powdered fruit drink (such as Crystal Light or sugar-free Kool Aid)
2 scoops (1 ounce) protein powder
4 ice cubes
--This recipe provides: ..110 calories..20 grams protein..4 grams carbohydrate.. 2 grams fat
High-Protein Cream Soup
Eat soup when it is lukewarm.
Instructions: Mix well:
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon chicken or beef bouillon
3 tablespoons protein powder
Add enough hot water to equal 1 cup
--This recipe provides: ..200 calories..24 grams protein..20 grams carbohydrate..2 grams fat
**Choosing Liquid Protein Supplements from the Pharmacy or Grocery Store**
Read labels. Look for supplements with:
• At least 15 grams (g) of protein per 8-ounce (1 cup) serving
• Less than 20 grams Total Carbohydrate per 8-ounce serving
• Less than 5 grams fat per 8-ounce serving
Do not choose any of the following supplements. They are too high in carbohydrates:
• Regular Carnation Instant Breakfast • Ensure • Slim-Fast • Boost
**Tips for Protein Shakes**
- Non-fat plain yogurt can be added to shakes to increase protein and creaminess
- Freeze skim milk in ice cube trays. Blend these “milk cubes” with your shake to make it cold and slushy. This also adds protein without diluting your shake.
- Turn an ordinary protein shake into a vanilla or mocha latte by adding 1 teaspoon of decaffeinated instant coffee to a vanilla or chocolate shake. Or add 1 serving Sunrise Orange Crystal Light® to a vanilla shake for a dreamsicle flavor.
- If you find that you do not tolerate milk, you can use fat free Lactaid milk or soy milk to add protein to your shake. Avoid flavored soy milk (i.e. vanilla, chocolate, almond) as it contains a large amount of added sugar.